Friday, January 09, 2009

I'm A Night Owl

Mornings aren't really my thing. Most days, my reluctance to pull myself from my cozy bed means I'm left dashing out the door for work, wearing an ugly outfit, my hair in a ponytail, and a packet of instant oatmeal in my purse (to be consumed during first period) . This morning I was able to get my act together a bit more. I had to, really. It was my friend-coworker's birthday and it was my job to bring "birthday Starbucks" for everyone. After ordering my coffees, I stood chatting with the barista as he made my four drinks. Another customer came up and stood near me. "Whatcha got there?" he asks, eyeing my crate of beverages. "Oh. I bunch of stuff. It's my coworkers birthday, so I'm bringing coffee," I babble on. He proceeds to inquire about what I do and where I work. Eventually he gets to the key question: "So where you going for happy hour tonight?" At this point I realize, oh(!), he's not just being friendly, he's hitting on me. At a Starbucks. At 7:00 in the morning. I tell him we are going to Irvine to Dave and Busters (phew...all the way in Orange County!) But he wasn't done. "So if I come to Irvine tonight can I buy you a drink?" After my uncomfortable laugh, I answer something like, "Uh, sure. Can't turn down a free drink." Luckily, my order was complete at this point. I grabbed my drinks and headed out. "I'm Carlos," he said, as I smiled goodbye and walked away.

Which leads me to ask, is there such a thing as being hit on too early in the morning? I think yes. Especially before I've had my coffee.

No comments: