Thursday, January 29, 2009

In My Head

Sometimes I like to consider different fantasy scenarios in my head. For example, I used to read through my InStyle Magazine and imagine what I would say if they interviewed me to find out what was in my makeup bag. Why InStyle hasn't called me up to ask is beyond me (what? they only want to interview celebrities for that feature?). A couple months ago, while driving with my sisters a music topic came up: if you could be any musical performer alive today, who would you be? Now, this was a bit of a struggle for me. My musical taste is eclectic: from indie rock, to electronica, and hip hop to the poppiest of pop (see post on Taylor Swift). I'm also very much a girly girl. I have no desire to prance around in jeweled lingerie like Britney (everyone heaves a sigh of relief), but I don't want to be a complete hipster, thrift-store wearing rocker chick either. So I threw out Kylie Minogue as my choice: a little older, a little classier, but still very much a popstar. My younger sister, Patty, wasn't convinced. And to be honest neither was I. This morning, while driving to work, I discovered the answer to this question. And it is the right one, I just didn't know it at the time. My choice: Inara George from The Bird and the Bee. Rolling Stone describes the music as, "Greg Kurstin (`bee') and Inara George (`bird') mak[ing] syncopated danceable pop that sounds like audible sunshine." Seriously. You can read this description and know this is the music I would be making if I could. That said, go buy this album now. Or let me know and I'll burn you a copy. It sounds as if I took all my favorite albums and stirred them together into a magical musical soup. It is music to dance to, clean to, drive to, bathe to, cook to. I honestly cannot think of anything I would not want to do without these wonderful little songs drifting through the air.

No comments: