Saturday, December 24, 2005

Cue mangiata!

For those of you who don't speak Italian, that is something you say when you are full...I'm thinking it is like when we say we are stuffed or couldn't eat another bite or something like that. I have essentially eaten my way through Italy. Many friends of Casey's have invited us over for meals. Meals in Italy are a bit different than in America. They have delicious appetizers, followed by a pasta course, then a meat course (or, in the case of last night, two meat courses), and finally dessert (or two desserts another night)! But this is not what I really want to write about.

A couple days ago we were in Verona, which is a gorgeous Italian city (you know, "In fair Verona where we lay our scene..."). And Verona certainly is "fair". Again, I am getting sidetracked. Casey's friend Costanza lives in Verona. Her family owns one of the biggest wineries in the area, and she and her mom took us to dinner. We began with an aperitivo, basically drinks and appetizers, and then headed to the restaurant. Costanza recommended items on the menu for us to order. One of which was cavallo. For those of you who speak Spanish, you may be able to guess what this is. It is horse. I have eaten it. And it is good. It was braised (sort of like a pot roast) and served with polenta. I also tried donkey that night. Aren't I brave?

No comments: